Wednesday, January 28, 2009

well, the chicken has flown the coop. one of the longest journeys of my life began in the minneapolis airport when an airline employee asked me "are you flying all alone, young lady?". yes, i was about to do this all alone; and yes, i was over the age of 14.

i arrived in malta yesterday afternoon. the country is absolutely stunning. i took a taxi from the airport to my residence hall which let me see some of the country, and i can't wait to see more. it was gorgeous yesterday, but alas, when i arrived i fell asleep and slept all through the day (which i know you are NOT supposed to do). i was then up til 5 trying to fall back asleep so i could get on schedule, but it has not happened yet, and i keep falling asleep today. however, i am not missing much because it is very rainy and cold here today, so my goal to explore has been deeply hindered. (by cold i mean like 50 degrees, so i'm sorry minnesota.)

the semesters at the university here overlap, so i will not be able to get into my dorm for a few days. i am currently sharing a farmhouse apartment with 2 girls from holland. they are very nice, but speak in dutch most of the time, so i feel like i'm not part of the club in gradeschool that started a secret language. my orientation is on friday, and i start classes here on monday. however, i am not sure at all what i will be taking - which is making me kind of nervous, but i'm sure it will all work out fine.

i have not mentioned the chickens. there are so many chickens right by my apartment, and unlike the movies would have you believe, they do not crow once at dawn. they crow and caw all day, and it is so loud you wouldn't believe it. it sounds a lot like women screaming, which is not a very pleasent way to wake up from a nap.

i miss home and everyone so much already. it is hard to adjust to a place where i do not know a single person. but i'm sure that will change. until then, i would love to hear from you guys if you ever get a chance. either on here, or you can send me letters!! i also love peanut butter.

here is my address:

Claire Hill
University Residence
Robert Mifsud Bonnici Street
Lija, MALTA

goodbye for now. i will write more when exciting things start happening, beyond me being very tired and very annoyed with chickens.
love, claire

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Claire! Mary J Block gave me your blog address. I just googled your location - from the satellite image it looks amazing. Enjoy your time there!